Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Year in Perspective

May 19th, 2010 was an interesting day. I spent quality time in DC with some friends and Arielle, we had dinner, drinks and then went to bed. All the time, my mind seemed to wander, seemed to think about other things. What would the future bring? Mainly, with regards to my best friend, my mentor and my personal corner stone - my Dad. Now, just one year later, I find myself in a different corner of the world, new friends, new language, ways of communicating, new emotions, new outlook on life, new perspectives, new goals, and still I suppose the same person - in appearance anyways. 
I was chatting with my Mom on skype just this past weekend, my neighbor asked me, "how old are you going to be?" I actually had to stop and think. I know that the older generation reading this will laugh, write this off as simply "young delusions in perception," but lets be honest, the beauty of sharing experiences and ideas is that every person's perception is somewhat different. While perception changes (as it should) throughout life, perhaps I have given some merit to my current state. In short, I feel as if it has been a long year. It was one year ago that Vince courageously under went massive brain surgery (that he naturally brushed off as "routine") in what would prove to be his last big swing of the fight of his life. I don't say this to make myself or anyone else feel depressed or unhappy, but rather to shed a bit of light, once again, on my year in review, because, it feels like it has been a damn long time - the longest in my short memory.
Time passes in such an interesting manner. You can look back in life and compare long periods of time that feel like a snap, short periods of time that feel like a breeze and all other intervals in between. The only commonly agreed upon assumption of time is: It takes way too damn long for a Major League Baseball game to end. I digress - A few for-instances: It feels like Dad has been gone for some time now. It has been just shy of 10 months and it feels like those 10 months have crawled by. If this is the case, then how can time here in Ethiopia pass so quickly? Three months down? Are these three months not measured on the same scale as the 10 he has been gone? I don't understand it and have had a hard time wrapping my head around this stark contrast. Im not exactly sure why this is the case. Any insights are welcomed.
This year was filled with a lot of big steps, and I am wondering if these steps were intentioned or was more like crossing a river by stepping on rocks: you only think about the next dry place and the next, and so on.....hmm. Lost Dad, Bought my first new car (which officially makes me an American, I personally think we should do away with SSN#'s), saw my first ever Steeler's playoff victory (monkey is off my back), went through emotions I never though possible, grew closer to people who I never though I could get closer to, moved from Washington DC - via Pittsburgh - Addis Ababa on 2 weeks notice, lived abroad again in a completely foreign place for 3months and still kicking. And so, feet securely on dry rock, I wonder just where the next step will be. 
I think the hardest part, for me about being in this foreign place is: not being able to share it with Vince. This has been my struggle here. Don't get me wrong, there are other struggles, but they are more simple frustrations that a few deep breaths and a beer can easily mend. I constantly see different things within the culture, people, and food that I think he would have really enjoyed and I would have enjoyed sharing with him. While he grew a bit "set in his ways" in his latter years, at heart, Vince was the type of guy that valued his relationships with other human beings more than anything else. This is why he would have loved me being here, loved it here himself, and would have been loved here. But I hope, that I am able to resemble him in my interactions here. I think this gives a little relief to my struggle. 
Enough of this sappy, introspective rubbish. Arielle took off last evening, it was great to have her here and she is already sorely missed. My friends here in Addis grew quite fond of her, which, if you know her, is not easy to do :) Joking. We had a blast while she was here, just hanging out, mainly in Addis, enjoying life, chatting and laughing more times than not. In typical fashion, Arielle is currently in Istanbul for two days, then to NYC, Boston, Amherst Mass and back to DC. We both continue to move in crazy directions, but are enjoying each other's company as always. All in all it was great for her to come here, and gave me the much needed relief of a familiar face. 
Addis is still alive and kicking, the rains are slowly moving in which is really nice (if you ask me - since I'm writing, you have no choice). The days are much cooler, filled with clouds and sometimes rain. If you know me, you know I hate the heat and for the most part the sun unless at the beach, or bouncing off of fresh powder, so, the colder, rainy season is welcomed. There is also something that is instinctively human about sleeping in peace while the rain ricochets off of the landscape outside. Quite peaceful. As far as my time here, still trying to figure out exactly what the next few months will bring. It looks like I will be here through early July, then back to the States for a few weeks, and with all hopes, back to Ethiopia for some months. But, this is all in flux and since I have been reflecting on the interesting turns of the last 12months, lets just say that I am learning, slowly, to expect anything and prepare to be okay with it. I will keep everyone posted.
All in all I am doing well, heading out to celebrate with my friends for a few beers, but was doing some serious deep-thinking and felt inspired to share a bit or at least put it into words for my own personal therapy/relief. I can only hope that I continue to grow as much as I did in the past 12months. I can only hope that I continue to learn from Vince. I can only hope that I continue to develop strong relationships with people who lift me up. Thats my hope for the upcoming 12months. O yea, and that the Steelers win the SuperBowl. Light and Love

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Mr Perfect,
    If this is the case, then how can time here in Ethiopia pass so quickly? Three months down? Are these three months not measured on the same scale as the 10 he has been gone?

    mmmmmmmmmmmmmh, reading this...i kept asking myself what was in ur mind, i wanted to "see" what u were "seeing", "feel" what u were "feeling".. almost impossible but again in life when we dont pause to smell the flowers we miss the details for we are more concerned with the generalities while focussing on our immediate concerns...
    Time ? i think it has a unique beauty to it - almost mysterious yet its "same" world over. what am i trying to say? time is... well, TIME ! YAAH, its appreciates, our schedules, our perceptions n our attitudes too, TIME is the sum total of US. when we are idle, sad, bored, down etc TIME gets bored, thus "drags", slows down, it becomes idle too - it gets bored ! When we are excited, TIME becomes "jumpy", it flies, it gets excited, it gains energy to be active with us n "hurries" up to keep pace with our new found speed. such times we are happy, busy, under tight schedules... TIME becomes "not enough", we are left asking for more of it, we feel like something is not right yet we cannot really place our fingers on exactly what it is... i appreciate ur thots on Pops. i think its healthy for u get to appreciate, pause n smell the "flowers" that is life-the past present and the future. i guess its Gods way of maturing us for we are able to think outside the box/cube we slow down and get to appreciate the priorities in life, we see the good things we have in life but which we tend to assume.....

    just a thot !

    have a nice day
    mwalimu

    ReplyDelete
  2. He school's population in the lower school is about 50% Indian and in the upper school is mostly Ivorian (85% Ivorian & 10% Other African Nationality). More than 50% are currently receiving ESL support or required support within the past 4 years. Any type of teaching supplies are nearly impossible to get. Some teachers were lucky to get books this year. Basic supplies are also hard to get has the school feels that you are trying to spend all their money and therefore won't give them to you. Technology is non-existent. The school says that technology is important but they have done absolutely something to bring the school up to date. Work Abroad

    ReplyDelete